5th IEEE Workshop on Electrical Machine Design, Control and Diagnostics, 8-9 APRIL 2021
The University of Modena and Reggio Emilia – UniMoRe and MUNER – The Motorvehicle University of Emilia-Romagna are proud to be hosting WEMDCD 2021 in Modena, Italy. The aim of the conference is to give an insight into emerging new techniques related to electrical machines design, control and diagnosis.
Industrial electrical machines remain a key component for modern systems using, producing or transforming electricity. Nowadays, they are associated with innovation and a major focus of both industry and academia, for modern applications, is exploring potential to save energy and/or to reduce pollution.
WEMDCD 2021 will include a significant number of invited contributions from researchers working in academia and in R&D in the industry sector. These will include papers related, but not limited, to the following topics with focus on industrial and transport applications.
- Electrical Machines Design and Modeling: Switched Reluctance Machines; Induction Machines; Permanent Magnet; Synchronous Machines; High Speed Machines; Synchronous Reluctance Machines; Linear Machines; Fractional Slot Machines; Universal Motors; Actuators; Wound-Field Synchronous Generators; Permanent Magnet Generators; Innovative Magnetic Materials for Electromagnetic Devices; Motor and Generator Windings.
- Electrical Drives and their Control: Design of drives based on wide bandgap devices; Integrated drives; Multi-phase, Multi-level drives, Advanced Control Techniques; Vector Control; Direct Torque Control; Model predictive control; Sensor-less control of electrical machines.
- Electrical Drives Reliability and Monitoring: Diagnosis of Rolling Elements; Bearings Faults; Effects of high-frequency switching devices (such as wide bandgap devices) on reliability of drives and their components; Design, modelling and analysis methodologies for increased fault-tolerance and reliability of power converters, machines and drives; Modelling, detection and measurement of partial discharges and their effects in electrical machines; Modelling, design and development of high temperature electrical drives and their components; Modelling and analysis of high frequency effects in electric drives and their components; EMI and dV/dt filters; Physics of failure, characterization, aging and diagnostics of winding insulation materials and systems; Lifetime prediction methods of electrical drives, at component and at system level.
- Industrial and Transport Applications of Machines and Drives: High reliability motor drives for more electric transportation; Multiphase Machines; Fault-Tolerant motors; Application of Electrical Machines and drives in Modern Electric Vehicles; Advances in Electrical Machines and Drives for railway applications; Advances in Electrical Machines and Drives for Green Maritime Applications; Electrical Machines for More Electric Tractors; Electrical machines and drives for More Electric Aircraft.
Please submit provisional versions of full papers in English using the following guideline: Maximum of 6 pages, including paper title, authors and affiliations, figures and references, and be a maximum size of 2MB. Authors are requested to prepare the manuscripts in the IEEE two column format, using the template available in the WEMDCD website and to translate it into a PDF using the IEEE PDF eXpress facility.
The conference proceedings will be submitted to the IEEE Xplore Digital Library®.
The Conference Technical Program Committee will select 20% of the papers presented at the conference, which will be eligible for further review to be published in the Industry Applications Society IEEE-IAS periodicals.
Extended version of presented papers, which include new materials as defined by the IEEE PSPB Operations Manual, can also be accepted for revision by the IEEE Open Journal of the Industrial Electronics Society.
All submissions should be electronic form. Instructions can be found at this LINK
- Submission of papers opens: 7 September 2020
- Submission of papers closes:
31 December 202010 February 2021
- Notification of acceptance:
14 February 20212 March 2021
- Deadline for uploading final full papers and conference forms:
7 March 202121 March 2021
In light of the current health situation related to the Covid 19, the WEMDCD Steering Committee and Local Organizing Committee, in order to prioritize health and safety of our community, made the decision that the 2021 edition of WEMDCD (supposed to be organized in Modena, Italy 8-9 April 2021) will be held as a virtual conference, i.e. all presentations will be carried out remotely.